Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Former vice president of loser vill baby, besides...

Posted by former vice pres on January 27, 2001 at 08:49:33:

In Reply to: Re: DoB resources posted by Bob on January 26, 2001 at 16:44:47:

my point was that someone looking for an architect is not likely to know the difference or definition of 1.basement 2. cellar 3.sub-cellar as defined for the zoning they may fall under. So I was calling the original question into question. Nor did the original post say whether or not the space was connected (perhaps duplexed) to another space above it, if so, you ignored my point that some areas (zoning areas) allow basement spaces to be attached to basement space if it is considered a recreational space. Like I said I think it falls under Quality Housing something or something.

And yes, a Brownstone with a basement can be considered differently then a commercial tenement with a basement, particularly if it has a cellar. Sub-cellars are very rare. I've never seen one in a brownstone.

So when you say "No, they don't. There is one definition for basement, a second definition for cellar." you are just wrong, there are too many configurations and styles of buildings for such a definition to be black and white letter law. I doubt that the original tenant knows which or/and what the landlord did. It is more likely they just want to try and catch the landlord on something to get leverage on them somehow. But it is most likley the LL has, if it is true the tenant saw permits posted, done everything within the allowable law. It is too easy to get screwed in this current market if LLs don't follow the laws.

former vice pres

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name