Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Went to small claims tuesday

Posted by Kenny on January 26, 2001 at 03:07:05:

I put up posts about going taking my criminal landlord to small claims....and then i put up a post about his counterclaim.

i just wanted to share with all of you the latest chapter.

Wife and I went to court on tuesday...he didn't show up :))))))

We did an 'inquest'. Judge asked me for all supporting papers - she took the Lease, the Lease Rider, the Stipulation of settlement from the previous case and the 3 security deposit checks. She asked me under oath when i moved and i told her...I didn't have to dispute any of his phony charges or show the video. She said she'd let me know by mail. The clerk said she had up to 60 days to make a decision.

I got the letter today (Thursday) only two days later - i guess it was a no-brainer. We've been awarded $3077.11 - our security deposit plus 3 months interest at 9%.

Now the fun comes - trying to collect. Fortunately, he's trying to sell the house we were in, so we'll just take a lein out on it until he coughs it up. Remember, this guy already had to forego a months' rent per the stipulation, so he's SEETHING!

I hope this is an inspiring story to all of you tenants who feel beaten down. Know your rights and don't get bullied! Persist if you feel you're right and most importantly, HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY.
We kept our noses clean, despite the temptations to do all sorts of hidden damages. Take the high road and you may not be rewarded immediately, but it will come.

Thanks to all who helped me out in the past few months :)

~Kenny

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name