Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Move out inspection

Posted by Ann Marie on January 25, 2001 at 20:33:32:

My landlord is a tyrant. I am moving because the tenants, of just 3 months, in the adjacent duplex were extremely loud, inconsiderate and disruptive between 10pm-4am during the week. At first there was the 40ish year old mother and her 14-yr. old daughter. The mother worked 2nd shift and left the girl unsupervised. Well being a normal unsupervised teen, she had her friends over and would stomp, jump, scream, etc.. That would last until a half-hour before the mother would get home. Then the woman would get home from work at midnight and decide to vacuum, do laundry and clean the apartment until 4am, making a lot of noise. About a month later her other 20yr old daughter and 2 yr. old granddaughter moved into the 2 bedroom apartment and the noise only worsened. I first spoke with them about the problem and then a month later I spoke with the LL when the problem became worse. She said, "That is between the two of you to work out". Well, the situation worsened because we were imposing them because they only have time after work to do the house cleaning. When the tenants started to yell through the walls at my roommate and me we found a new apartment and gave the LL 45 days notice. The lease stated a 30-day notice. Two weeks after our notice, the sewer backed up and it took 3 weeks to fix. All that time raw sewage is backing up into the basement. The night before the big move we were doing the laundry and the tenant was in one of her moods and threw a temper tantrum. Maybe we could have gone to the laundry mat, but since they were taking 3 showers a day and doing their laundry we decided to do our own thing.

I am having my move out inspection this weekend. I have cleaned out the apartment and shampooed the rugs. However, because of a sewer backup they had to dig up the front yard to fix the problem 3 days before I was moving out all my furniture. Because of this, there were (I live in western NY) there was clay and dirt that stained the carpet. I shampooed and spot cleaned the areas but there are still traces of dirt barely visible. Am I responsible to pay for the replacement or is this normal wear and tear. Also, there is a "traffic" trail that is visible from the four years that I have lived there. Is this normal wear and tear?

Also anyone who has had similar experienced with noisy neighbors please tell me what you did to rectify the situation. Thanks!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name