Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: electrical violations in apt.

Posted by Cvillecpm on January 25, 2001 at 10:15:30:

In Reply to: electrical violations in apt. posted by dd on January 24, 2001 at 18:06:40:

: Yesterday my electricity went off and I could not get in touch with my landlord after leaving several messages. I had no choice but to contact and hire an electrician to do repairs. The electrician told me that the wiring in the building, from what he saw in the basement, had numerous violations, fire hazards and incorrect wiring. I finally spoke with my landlord, today, and he is having a friend of his, who knows about electrical work come by tomorrow to do repairs. The electrician I hired (which was licensed) stated it is no wonder there has not been an electrical fire in the building. What recourse do I have against my landlord? Is there someone or some agency that I can report this? Is there some agency that will come in and inspect the wiring for further violations? I am a month to month tenant, whose rent is about to be increased by $300.00 in March. HELP!!!

DD...by reporting anyting regarding to the property to any bureaucratic agency you run the risk of having them cite the owner and possibly condemn the building. You should realize that a "licensed" electrician has a vested interest in protecting his/her trade so having them say that the wiring is "not up to code" may mean nothing.....I remember the Seinfeld episode where Cramer kept taking shoes to a local shoe repair shop because the tenant/cobblers had gotten cited that they needed thousands of dollars of electrical work in their shop that they had been operating for 25+ years just fine...he went there one day, it was closed and he could not get his shoes........don't poke a stick in a hornets nest unless you want to take the consequences. You should concentrate on what the problem was in your unit and why your electricity went out - assuming you are not in CA.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name