Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Go to Court

Posted by John on January 24, 2001 at 22:06:29:

In Reply to: landlord is a bully posted by sean on January 23, 2001 at 12:18:47:

Start a HP ACTION in Housing Court and Call the Central Complaint Bureau at (212) 960-4800 to register your complaint. Complain about every little problem you have, like electrical wiring, window guards, and plumbing, include common area problems like the stair well, mailboxes (lack of) and door bells, etc.

Your landlord will be upset about the attention they will be receiving from Housing, but it may put pressure on your landlord to offer you a buyout (pay you to move) take it and move into a place with a lease.

Good luck

: I live in a four-unit brownstone (Brooklyn)and began withholding rent after a long period of owner negligence toward major problems (hole in the roof, stairway crumbling in, and more). In December the owner started to make some of the necessary repairs - just scratching the surface, but a show of good faith nonetheless. So I began paying current rent starting w/ Dec., but continue to hold the four unpaid months (Aug. to Nov.) b/c I feel I should receive some sort of abatement for that period (I offered 50%). The owner (through a very rude mgmt. co., b/c he lives in Fla.) won't deal with me, won't make any further repairs, refuses to renew my recently expired lease and has threatened me with a five day eviction notice for past due $$ owed. My questions are: for a 4 unit brownstone - what are rules they need to follow? can they kick me out w/ less than 30 days notice? (esp. if I'm paying current rent) Is it worth my time to file a warranty of habitability claim now on a dispute from several months ago? Should I even bother offering to settle with no new lease in sight? Can they legally not offer a new lease? And finally, over the last year I've seen numerous notices from the City Environmental Board (not positive of the exact name right now, but def. a city agency) basically stating the place is a hazard and threatening punitive fines/action - - when I mentioned these notices to the owner, he laughed it off, saying he did a title search and nothing like that showed up. How can I check to see if these records exist? It seems they would make my potential case a lock. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name