Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I believe your in trouble...

Posted by former vice pres (loser) on January 24, 2001 at 16:38:56:

In Reply to: landlord is a bully posted by sean on January 23, 2001 at 12:18:47:

In a four unit building they don't have to give you any reasons why they are not renewing your lease, let alone for non-payment, they can just want the apartment back. The apartment isn't protected under stabilization.

What I don't understand is why you moved into such a dipilitated space and then tried forcing landlord into doing the right thing. Wasn't it obvious when you moved in that the landlord was bad. You've put youself in a very difficult situation. They won't even claim non-payment, the managers will probably just evict without cause. They have every right not to renew a lease and they can give you a thirty day notice to evict.

It doesn't matter how unsafe your place is. It seems to me the landlord can even use that as an excuse to remove you, so they can have unfettered access to do repairs.

If you like living there then you should have realised your rights are limited. People hear about stabilised tenants, almost invunerable, rights and they think they can just not pay thier rent if they aren't happy with something. The reason the management company is not dealing with you is because you are about to be evicted.

As far as evicting you in five days, I'm not sure, there may be some loophole, but I think it has to be a thirty day notice. But they do not have to offer you a new lease, not on a four unit building. You will be evicted. You should be a little more careful in picking your next residence. And I imagine you will not get a good landlord reference for your next apartment, which some owners insist on.

Think of it this way, you've propably gotten away with screwing the landlord over for four months rent, unless he sues, or turns you into a credit agency, which he probably will. But that doesn't seem to really matter to you anyway, or you wouldn't have been so reckless.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name