Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Deregulation? Why should we?

Posted by JOHN on January 23, 2001 at 23:52:31:

In Reply to: Is the Landlord Lying to me ? posted by Charlie on January 23, 2001 at 21:55:25:

In all seriousness, I think that your thinking way too much about your landlords feeling and not enough of your own.

Yes, at one time or another all homes were private. Landlords could pick and choose who they wanted to rent to, and abused any agreement made with a tenant creating hardship and duress to their families.

Have you ever read the rent stablization laws and rules? Funny, that you wrote how unfair it is... If you really wanted to find out how deregulation works for private citizens try living in a two family house. Sometimes the conditions there is deplorable and sometimes the hardship is brought on by a rude and demanding landlord. So try it and see how you really feel about empty promises.

good luck finding a decent home.

: Hello I have a question, actually, I want to confirm if something the landlord told me is true or not.

: I am interested in renting an apartment. The Landlord told me it is a rent stabilized apartment and that I would have to sign a rent stabilized lease. I do not want to sign a rent stabilized lease at all. Primarily becuase I do not agree with all the city's rent stabilized rules, and furthermore, I want to be able to negotiate rent directly with my landlord, rather than have it decided once a year by some city agency.

: I told the LL that I want the apartment but want to sign a private lease agreement just between me and him. He told me that the apartment is rent stabilized therefore he "has to" use a rent stabilized lease.

: I think what the LL said is bogus becuase a contract is a private agreement between two parties and in a free country two people can put whatever they both agree to in a contract. Pleaes tell me who's right, me or the LL ? I'm sure that NYC doesn't force everyone to the same rent increase and the same lease.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name