Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LL letter offer to vacate rent stabilized apt NYC

Posted by georgygirl on January 23, 2001 at 12:59:00:

In Reply to: Re: LL letter offer to vacate rent stabilized apt NYC posted by Renee on January 20, 2001 at 07:09:25:

UPDATE #3: Returned LL's call and he reiterated why he sent the letter offer to vacate. I told him his voicemessage said the same thing and we moved on. I brought up the lease renewal and he started acting coy, saying he wasn't familiar with the laws, still learning them, and would have to get back to me on the renewal. He wanted to "pick my brain" and find out if I knew of a way that HE could NOT give me the renewal!!!! At a loss, I merely paused, trying to gather my thoughts and not say anything dumb in return. I calmly told LL that I did not know landlord law, that he should talk to his attorney, and I could only speak about tenant's, because that's what I am. I told him that I had the right to the option to renew. And left it at that. Needless to say, he would not tell me WHEN he would send me the renewal although I asked specifically when for it several times -- he claimed he needed to "call rent stabilization and find out what papers and forms" he needed to send to me. I explained he merely had to send the renewal, not a new lease, with the 6% increase for the two year renewal as I've applied for that in the past (the two year renewal). I explained about the Julius Blumberg forms and he said he knew of those. He claimed he didn't know the percentages, he didn't know rent stabilization, he wanted to see a copy of my lease (he should have copies of everything in his LL files!). I explained that the last thing I signed off on was the renewal for two years -- if he wanted me to send a copy of that, wouldn't any of this be in his files and he said he had yet to look in the files. I advised him he should.

Then he "joked" about upping the rent to more along the lines of double what I'm currently paying, saying that he preferred that number as opposed to the number I would pay under the rent stabilization law! He also joked about the letter I sent him asking for clarification, suggesting it was a bit aggressive to him. Aggressive that I asked for clarification and asked about the vacate being permanent or temporary? I did not lose it or get snippy with him throughout the entire 17 minutes of his being an idiot -- I did wonder inwardly what this guy's story was. Is LL merely playing dumb or quietly clever?

Should I just file a complaint with Dept. of Housing or wait til I sent next month's rent?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name