Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Noise war with neighbor - Any suggestions? -- Yes declare a truce

Posted by Peacemaker on January 20, 2001 at 00:32:10:

In Reply to: Noise war with neighbor - Any suggestions? posted by Suzi on January 19, 2001 at 23:48:54:

To Suzi:
I urge you to end this "war" with your neighbor. Ask yourself what do you really want: a peaceful and quiet home or to be the survivor from a war zone ? Your neighbor sounds volatile and menacing, and you've said that you have "retaliated" with "louder weapons". Where do you think this will end ? I shudder to imagine the plight of the other residents of your building, who are innocent victims of this "war" between the two of you.

If what you really want is some peace and quiet, then take the high road and move out. Consider a high rise, professionally managed building. Or talk to prospective landlords and mention that peace and quiet is very important to you (believe it or not many landlords appreciate such traits). Come back to any apartment you are considering at night and see how the neighborhood is. These are ways you can take a proactive stance to your situation without cranking up the volume.

And trust me - you don't want to escalate this to a legal battle between neighbors. You can't afford it, and should have better things to do. Peace.

: I have a neighbor upstairs who is intentionally making noise to bother me and to wake me up in the morning. His noise-making is not incidental to his lifestyle (like using a Stair Master) or to his work (like a carpenter) or even to his downtime (like enjoying loud music). His noise is made expressly for me and is directed at me. (The man has serious anger issues which he has decided to direct at me).

: I wear earplugs now so he no longer affects me in the morning, but he has taken to new and different tactics in the afternoon. My complaint is not so much about the noise, but that someone would have the audacity to think that they could declare war on me this way. Of course his actions have not gone unanswered. When direct communication failed many moons ago I retaliated noise-appropriately. My weapons are louder and more powerful than his and I have good reason to believe that my responses have had a greater effect on him than his have had on me. Yet he has not given up.

: The landlord has been notified and has made a token effort to address this issue. I don't think that he will do more (he doesn't live on premises, instead we have a super who is not authorized to do anything). The police have been here and confronted my neighbor, and though they have tried their best, there's not a whole lot more that they can do.

: I would now like to take legal action that will nail him once and for all or take any legitimate action that will scare the dickens out of him. I would ideally like to drive him out of the buiding, but I don't think that's possible. If anyone has a suggestion either in terms of legal action or something really horrible and effective that I can do (that is still ethical), I'm open to hearing it.

: Location: NY, NY; rent stabilized building; we both have secure leases; both have lived here for years (this problem is relatively new, no problem with this neighbor previously).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name