Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I don't consider myself a tick and I don't think you would either if you met me...

Posted by Jonathan on January 19, 2001 at 22:31:38:

LANDLORD, n. A pillar of society as necessary to its existence as a tick is to a hound.

This message is posted on tenant nets front page. As a landlord myself I find this extremely prejudicial, stereotypical and offensive. And sad, that anyone would talk about any one group of people in such a way. Without regard to thier lifes, thier circumstances, what kind of people they may be. Words like these can only be advisorial, hateful in thier nature and divisive and dangerous, comparing the value of a persons worth to that of an insect, lends itself to treating fellow humans with the same regard.

If this way of thinking is really okay, then where is the line drawn? It is a slippery slope, and it seems the true intent of this sight is to be a positive thing, helping people out with information. Why set such a negative and nasty precident right at the front of your sight.

I consider myself a good landlord, I only own one building, ten apartments, the lower East Side. I live in the building and consider myself friends with several of the tenants. I work as an illustrator most of the time. I take good care of the building and work hard to make improvements and I actually act on suggestions made by the tenants. I don't mind putting money back into the building. AND before anybody says I am a rare landlord, I would tell you my neighbor is also a one building owner landlord who lives in his building and also has a very good relationship with his tenants. And he spends a great deal of money on improvements without jacking his tenanats around. There are at least two other landlords in my block who live in thier buildings and are kind fair landlords. They do, in fact, and have, added vitality and energy into this community and made it a better place to live for everybody. I consider thier value greater then that of a ticks, nor do they suck the lifesblood from the community, in fact they are a part of why my neighborhood is thriving.

Disappointed,
Jonathan

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name