Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL letter offer to vacate rent stabilized apt NYC

Posted by georgygirl on January 19, 2001 at 13:02:58:

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who wrote me and gave me good advice on how to handle LL situation. I sent a letter to the LL asking for more information regarding MCI and apartment modernizing and when this would be done. I called up the Queens Rent Office and was told that indeed the landlord was late in offering the lease renewal and should have done so already. I have the option to file a complaint with them or contact the LL direct for the lease renewal. I was also advised that anything that needed fixing that falls under essential services (like leaks in ceiling or broken mailboxes) need to be addressed before the MCI issue comes into play in a certified return receipt letter to the landlord and give LL ten days to respond and turn things around. If nothing happens, the form I'm being sent by the rent office needs to be completely filled out (other tenants in the building can add their names and signatures and complaints on it) and then the form and LL correspondence can be then sent back to the Queens rent office. The LL cannot not ignore not sending the renewal form whether he's redoing the building/apartments or whatnot. As far as my heating situation, I was told to call HPD, file a complaint and if the landlord does not answer them, I can include that and send to the rent office as well. Two interesting things I did find out: all the apartments in my bldg. are rent stabilized and the rent office has not been properly notified of ownership name change. It still lists the name of the landlord two landlords ago. I asked if this was something that needed to be addressed, and the rent office told me that they didn't really keep track of it before but are starting to "crack down" on it. But they could not take my info over the phone because the LL has to do that! Weird, eh?

Overall, I'm really relieved -- thank you to those who responded with your helpful info!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name