Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Single Family Home

Posted by michelah on January 18, 2001 at 16:03:07:

In Reply to: Re: Single Family Home posted by Lenny on January 15, 2001 at 20:51:04:

We did have a few "special arrangements", however, now the landlord is backing
out. Also, we were not aware of some of problems or the extent of the damage prior to moving in...for example, the roof did not begin leaking until the first major snow (about a month ago). We also did not realize the extensive water damage until we began stripping the wallpaper.

It was not a "sudden" decision that we no longer want to rent here.
Unfortunately we have been pretty ignorant about our rights as tenants since
it has been difficult to find out what applies to multiple dwellings and
what applies to single-family homes.

As for cleaning, although the home was dirty when we looked at it, the landlord was to have taken care of this prior to our moving in. However, we did not find out that the home was not cleaned until the day we were to move in. At that point, we had no choice but to move in. The landlord has been promising to make repairs/compensate us for our cleaning, but as I said, has not done so to this point or is offering a ridiculous amount (say $35). Our current rent is $920/month.

However, we have FINALLY been able to find out that since 1998, landlords are required to have a C of O on the property.

: Housing codes are usually set at the local level, you would need to contact your town's building inspector. C of O is a New York City term as far as I know, and even in New York, single family homes do not need one.

: I certainly ASSUME that you made special "arrangements" with the owner prior to renting this ramshackle house. Presumably you agreed to clean and do minor repairs in exchange for a vastly reduced rent ... correct ? Otherwise I cannot fathom why a rational person would rent a house in that condition.

: What "recourse" do you have if you didn't make any such arrangements and now, after nearly three months, you have decided you don't like such a house any more ? Well, you can move out ......

: : I have spent several hours searching for information on Codes for rental of single family homes in upstate NY, and have been unsuccessful. I have only been able to find information on multiple dwellings.

: : We have been living in the home for 2 1/2 months and have recently discovered that there is no C of O on the property. The home was not cleaned when we moved in, although he has offered a minimal monetary compensation for our "time". To give an idea of how dirty the home was, this time consisted of 7 people working for three days straight cleaning mildew from the kitchen and bathroom, etc.

: : There are several items that are not functioning correctly (including the heater). We have repaired and painted several of the rooms (my four member family lived out of one of the rooms until the others were finished), however two rooms have not yet been done, and we do not wish to be responsible for repairing them. What recourse do we have?

: : Also, is the landlord responsible for painting the walls and cleaning the carpets prior to a tenant moving in?

: : Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name