Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

noisy apt

Posted by sung kim on January 18, 2001 at 04:05:37:

I'm currently subleasing a small studio from a co-op owner (claimed to have owned the place for 6-8 years now) in UWS of Manhattan. When I moved in last September, I had failed to realize that there's a heating unit sitting right below my apt unit (1st floor) -- it was difficult to foresee any problem with the heating unit as it was just sitting idly (deactivated) throughout hot Aug/Sep. I started noticing/sensing very loud noise (and some faint vibration through the wooden floor) coming from the basement of the building in mid-December (it usually goes on for 2-3 hours and off for 1 hour and then starts grinding again...). The super intendent told me that he was fully aware of the problem (as he had lived in my apt once before-it was a lot worse before I was told), but there's absolutely nothing he could do to alleviate the noise problem. The issue was immediately escalated to my landlady who in turn explained in a conspicuously defensive mode, that she had no prior knowledge of this -- she claimed her other tenants never brought it up before, and that she would discuss the problem with the co-op board.

I've waited about 3 weeks now without any progress. Candidly I don't think she even called up the co-op board to voice the problem. I fear that she's just hoping that the weather would somehow get better or I would never bring this up again. I think it's extremely unlikely that the board would tear down the basement and the heating unit just to assuage my need for tranquilness (trust me, I'm not hypersensitive at all, but I do stay up until 4-5 am to study).

What are my options now? This is nothing short of chinese water torture. There is also this 10+ year old refrigirator that makes very audible ticking bomb sound all day long *sigh*. I'm miserable.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name