Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: 55% rent increase

Posted by chelsea on January 14, 2001 at 15:07:32:

In Reply to: 55% rent increase posted by Bill Marsilii on January 14, 2001 at 06:31:28:

Unless I'm missing something in the recent weakening of the rent laws, for so-called luxury deregulation of an occupied rent-stabilized unit, the legal rent must still exceed $2000 AND the current househould income must exceed $175,000. BOTH must be true. Your landlord would have to serve you with papers in which you would have to prove your income isn't above that level. So if you receive any papers, be very careful to respond within the time limit set.

In the meantime, you might want to consult a tenant clinic or lawyer. Read up on your rights on tenant.net. Call DHCR's RentInfo hotline and ask for an apartment rent history to be mailed to you. If you've been overcharged within the last four years, you may be able to recover the overcharge, trebled. The number is 1-718-739-6400.

: I received my new lease yesterday afternoon and am still in shock -- thanks to destabilization, my building's leasing agent informs me that I am now to be charged a "fair market" rent increase of over $1000-a-month for my apartment.

: I have lived here five years (a rent-stablized 1BR in the West Village), throughout which time my rent has always been less than $2000 a month, my yearly income never even approaching $250K. Yet my rent is being raised to $2995 per month starting June 1st, a 55% increase over my current rate.

: Do I have any recourse other than moving? (Or is $2995 a month what all the other 1BR apartments in Manhattan are charging too now that THEY'VE been deregulated?)

: I've spent much of the wee hours here online, unable to sleep, reading what I could about the guidelines, but I confess I find much of it very hard to decipher. (Which might have been intended by the DHC, from what I read elsewhere here.)

: Is there anyone for me to call, some action or inquiry I can make? The info's probably here somewhere, but help me, I'm really at a loss tonight. Thanks...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name