Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Spoke to Landlord and he offered $4,000 to NOT sublease

Posted by Brian on January 13, 2001 at 22:23:02:

My fianee and I recently moved to Hicksville, LI due to a job offer. We want to sublease her apartment in case this job doesn't pan out. We figure we'll give the job a year and if it really sucks we'll move back into the rent stabilized apartment in Greenwich Village.

When we spoke to the landlord he stated that he didn't want to approve the sublease due to many problems he's had in the past and that he'd rather give us $3000 - $4000 to not sublease and just give up the apartment.

My fiancee has been living there for 5 years and just signed a new 2 year lease. Her rent is currently $1060 for the rent stabilized apartment. The apartment is a junior 1 bedroom like all the other units in the building. Over time, during each vacancy, the landlord has renovated each apartment to move the water closet from the living room area and the shower from the bedroom and make a full bathroom. Of course he then passes the cost of renovations to the new tenants along with the 20% vacancy increase. I figure he stands to take in an additional $500 per month if he does this. New tenants in the builing are paying close to $1,600 a month

We'd like to sublet, but he's stating that it's not a good thing since each time he's had a sublet he's wound up in court and costing him $15,000. He offered us to just give up the apartment free and clear for $3,000 - $4,000.

I searched on here to find info on what criteria they can refuse subleasing but haven't found enough information to go back and discuss it with him.

We're thinking that if he refuses subleasing that we take on a roommate and just go to that apartment every so often when I work late in the city or on weekends. What constitutes being in the apartment, having a bed, some clothes, and collecting mail there? Is it possible to not share the rent 50/50 with a roomie since that person will get the whole run of the place for most of the time?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name