Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Inconvenience Charge

Posted by Dawn on January 11, 2001 at 17:20:21:

In Reply to: Inconvenience Charge posted by Vinnie on January 11, 2001 at 15:53:05:

Being without a working shower? Yipes! If you told your landlord, did you also put it in writing and send it to the LL via certified or fedex (so you get signature upon receipt?).

If you haven't, I suggest you do. A polite, short letter, (sometimes it helps to take clear pictures, date and time stamped and have them included) stating your problem. State in your letter how long the problem has been going on. Give LL ten days to fix the situation. The danger of withholding your rent, unless you put it in escrow, is that the landlord could turn around and try to take you to court for non-payment of rent, in violation of your lease. You could end up losing too. So after the ten days, with no positive response (meaning prompt absolute positive action on the landlord's part, i.e., plumber coming your way), I would call Department of Housing and Preservation and lodge a complaint over the phone. They will send an inspector over for a surprise visit.

I must say I'm impressed with your math. I would bring that up in court.

: I live in Hoboken NJ and was wondering if I told my landlord in Sept. that the bathtub was boken and he still has not fixed it am I allowed to:

: 1. With hold rent until it is fixed

: 2. If I can not shower in the bathroom in my apartment and I have to go elsewhere to shower, am I entitled to asscess an inconvenience charge the following way:
: Total Rent $1,400.00
: Number of Occupants 2
: Avg. Rent per Occupant $700.00
:
: Avg. Rent per Occupant $700.00
: Number of Days in a Month 31
: Avg. Rent per Day $22.58
:
: Percentage of Day that was Inconvenienced 35%
: Ave. rent per Day $22.58
: Dollar Amount of the Percentage Inconvenience per Day $7.90
:
: Dollar Amount of the Percentage Inconvenience per Day $7.90
: Number of Days Inconvenienced* 104* *
: Amount of Rent Reimbursable by Landlord to Tenant for Inconvenience $821.60
:
: * The date from which this number is counted is September 1st, 2000 as stated in the first notification.

: **This is the current number as of January 11, 2001 and is subject to change.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name