Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord and New Lease

Posted by HarlemLady on January 11, 2001 at 13:30:25:

In Reply to: Re: Landlord and New Lease posted by Dawn on January 10, 2001 at 14:28:45:

Hi Dawn! Thanks for such a prompt and helpful reply. :-) Well, I appproched my landlord last night, when I came in from work and after pleasant small talk (LOL!) casually brought up the fact that I have not returned the signed lease and my concerns about doing so, particularly when we had discussed over the past year, them giving me a one-year lease. He did not deny the previous discussions but only said, I have been such a great tenant that he's hate to loose me--nothing else said to my (your) suggestions. I didnot push for further clarification, so I guess I'll have to go the formal letter writing mode or just ride things out and see if he serves his "great tenant" an eviction notice in the next 30 days.

I guess that he is primarily watching out for his own financial interest (Since I'm to be a landlord so, I don't begrudge him, but a lil' integrity would be nice. :-) and will opt for getting the maximum rent possible over the longest time-period. Funny thing is, I'm willing to pay the higher two-year lease amount over this final one year and I'll note this is my letter to him.

BTW, my lease appears to be that standard two-page lease , which just notes the basics on rentals.

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions!!

: What kind of lease did you have with the landlord? Check the options of the lease that currently expired. Is it possible to just get an extension on this previous lease? I don't believe he can change the rules midway in the game -- I would not sign the two year lease -- what are the landlord's reasons? or does the landlord know you so well that he's thinking you may not be able to move out in a year? Perhaps he's just trying to cover himself and you.

: Write him off a letter, sent certified mail or fed ex (preferably). Tell him about your previous conversation with him about the one year and your plans for moving to your own brownstone. Go on to say with that in mind you were surprised you received the two year lease instead of the one year from him instead. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding? Ask for a compromise. Ask for a one year lease or extension, with an option to renew for the second year if and when you decide not to move. You can agree that if you do decide to stay on the second year, that there will be X amount of increase. It's worth a shot. Make sure to get THIS ALL IN WRITING. Another idea: he and you can cross out and initial the two year language and change it to one-year language throughout the document. That may be chancy as you or he might miss something but it's another idea. Hopefully you and the landlord have had a pleasant or decent relationship up to this point. Tell us how it goes.

: : Situation: I am currently a renter in a three-family landlord-occupied brownstone and my last least most recently expired last month (12/00). I am in preparation for purchasing my own brownstone, with move-in date to be exactly one year from now. My landlord has been well aware that I would be leaving and we had discussed in the past months of him just giving my a one year lease renewal, which would be all I would need before moving into my own home. But, lo-and-behold this past December, he served me with a new lease specifying two years instead one year! When I questioned this, he stated that he knows I'm going to break the least and to not worry about it.

: : Question: I'm thinking that if I sign the lease, by law, I would be liable for not only the second year's rent, but I would also forfeit my rental deposit. Right?

: : I know that the landlord wanted to get the maximum rent on the two-year contract. So, what if I just not sign the lease and just pay the rent monthly with no written agreement until I leave next December?

: : Any input is appreciated :-).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name