Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

lease renewal/www.nolo.com: DISAGREE-IS GOOD info

Posted by Dawn on January 11, 2001 at 13:27:15:

In Reply to: Re: lease renewal/PLEASE CHECK www.nolo.com: no good for NYC posted by terri on January 10, 2001 at 20:10:52:

terri wrote: nolo knows nothing about rent stabilization.

hi terri -- i suggested in my post that nolo "may be useful", not an absolute. when i answered you the first time, i went to the site and checked and found the proper info there. also, nolo does has a search engine that goes by state and shows the statutes for each state that covers particular instances, such as rent stabilization, repairs, habitability, roommates, etc. please don't write nolo off. it takes a little digging and a little research and you'll be able to see what nolo has to offer.

it appears that the landlord could turn around and offer her a completely new lease. i don't think you mentioned if she had originally gotten permission from her landlord for you to move in, but if so, if she's worried about the money issue on her end, she can offer you as the replacement roommate. Then he can check your credibility as a tenant. He does have the right to reject you if he sees fit, however. Either way, she could get a new lease. As far as her financial records being checked, the landlord may check them again, if only for the fact the living situation has changed and it's a completely new lease. If you two get along with the landlord and have had a cordial working relationship with the landlord (i.e., timely payment of rent, not a noise nuisance in the building, that kind of thing) he might be more flexible in working something out with you.

i hope this helps. again, sometimes the best help is the help you go and get yourself. good luck, terri/kimmy!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name