Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: How to Break a lease?

Posted by Dawn on January 10, 2001 at 14:17:05:

In Reply to: How to Break a lease? posted by Danny on January 09, 2001 at 20:00:11:

Question: What kind of lease? Check and see if there are any loops or provisions to get out of the lease. One should try to avoid breaking a lease number one, but if you absolutely must, then giving the landlord a good 30 to 60 days (60 is better) would be great, the more time you can give the landlord, the better for you. The landlord needs to place an ad and find the replacement tenant for the apartment or else lose income once you take off. Two months will give him reasonable time to place the ad, screen the prospective tenants, have viewings of the apartment (make yourself as accomodating as possible to the landlord as far as him bringing prospective tenants over to view the apartment -- have it cleaned!) If you have someone lined up who is dependable, reliable, responsible and has a good paying job with a regular check coming in (in other words, someone YOU would want as a tenant your building if YOU were the landlord) you can include this information in your notification letter to the landlord about your leaving, sent via certified or fed ex (to get the signature of receipt back as your proof for your files). The more time you give him, the least likely he'll try to make you pay for the rest of the time mentioned on your lease. There's also some good information about this on www.nolo.com. Good luck.

:
: I am in an owner occupied brooklyn brownstone, and I want to break my lease. What are my options for splitting in terms of notice, penalties, and so forth.
: thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name