Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord and New Lease

Posted by HarlemLady on January 10, 2001 at 10:07:39:

Situation: I am currently a renter in a three-family landlord-occupied brownstone and my last least most recently expired last month (12/00). I am in preparation for purchasing my own brownstone, with move-in date to be exactly one year from now. My landlord has been well aware that I would be leaving and we had discussed in the past months of him just giving my a one year lease renewal, which would be all I would need before moving into my own home. But, lo-and-behold this past December, he served me with a new lease specifying two years instead one year! When I questioned this, he stated that he knows I'm going to break the least and to not worry about it.

Question: I'm thinking that if I sign the lease, by law, I would be liable for not only the second year's rent, but I would also forfeit my rental deposit. Right?

I know that the landlord wanted to get the maximum rent on the two-year contract. So, what if I just not sign the lease and just pay the rent monthly with no written agreement until I leave next December?

Any input is appreciated :-).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name