Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

slander on referance,harassment,rent increase doublestandards

Posted by hardy on January 09, 2001 at 22:12:46:

I live in Brooklyn in a private two family house with illeagal apartments below me-I'm first floor.My landlady wants to raise rent from $850.00 to 950.00 since a realestate company called her to verify referances on a upper westside apt. She is assuming that since the apt. is on the upper westside that I am loaded. My roommate allowed me to over hear the conversation while he spoke to her. The landlady said she didn't want to be left with an empty apt. and if my roommate was not moving with me she would only raise the rent for him by $25.00 since he said that he would not be able to afford the increase on his own since his salary was cut, but she wanted to know who will be living here with him.Her husband is always peering through the window and mailbox to the front door of my apt. The landlady has issues with me since she is constantly trying to obtain unfair moneys or investigate obsurd complaints twisted by her husband who acts as her informant.Do I have any rights in this situation and can I sue for possible slander that might prohibit me securing decent housing based on her comments to agents calling for referances. Could you please answer me through my email please?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name