Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: overcharge rent

Posted by Stacy on January 09, 2001 at 12:10:43:

In Reply to: overcharge rent posted by nick on January 09, 2001 at 04:29:41:

: Hi all! I've lived in my apartment for almost 3 years.
: The contract is for 1 year.
: For the first year the rent was $690, for the second 715,
: 3- 740. Now, I've just recieved the new contrakt - 900.
: $900 is too much for me. My wife dosn,t work, we have 3 small kids- 7,4 and 1 year old. I think the building is not
: under rent control. What we should do. I would like to keep my apartment but 900(it was 740) Please any advises.
: Please..........
: Nick, Brooklyn, NY

You should go to DHCR (25 Beaver Street, and request a copy of the rent registration and rent history for your apartment. Bring a copy of your lease. That will tell you if your apartment should be rent-stabilized. If so, you'll have a case for why your increases are too high. If it's not, and your apartment is at market rate, you're out of luck. Another good starting point is will help you figure out if your building has ever been stabilized. Requestion the rent history, though, is the only way to be sure.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name