Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Not provided with copy of lease...now getting screwed

Posted by pman on January 05, 2001 at 11:10:58:

In Jan 2000, I requested a promotional 16 month lease w/ my complex here in Michigan. I went in and signed a lease and at the end I noticed the lease said 12 months. I pointed this mistake out to the agent at the time and I was told to come back the next day so they could prepare the 16 month lease. I came back the next day and signed the 16 month form (the 16 month was attractive so I could move out possibly during warmer months). My security deposit had been raised to $250. I didn't have my checkbook with me to pay the amount so they told me to drop it off and they would mail me a copy of my lease. Well, I never got that copy in the mail and I completely forgot about it. Two jobs kind of does that to you. Anyhoo, now Jan 2001 is around and they magically have the old lease that I signed for one year, but not the 16 month one. They are also increasing my rent by $50. Do I have any rights because I was not provided w/ a copy of my lease? The only thing I have to prove that the lease they have is incorrect is that they have my original request form for the 16 month lease, the security deposit listed on their lease copy is $350, but my balance is $250 (They increased it to $250 in 2000 so that's what I needed my checkbook for was to pay the additional $100), and I still have my old I.D. card for the apartments which was supposed to be taken from me when my lease was renewed and be given a new one physically (the agent at the time also said it would be mailed to me). Sorry for the long story and run-on sentences, but I hope someone has some ideas.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name