Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Snowy Sidewalks - Who is Liable for Pedestrians, Tenant or LL?

Posted by Minty on January 03, 2001 at 13:30:04:

Hello. I couldn't find any documentation on this subject in a search. My experience in other states suggests that the LL is responsible for this. I am not particulartly concerned about the people in our building, but have noticed other pedestrians struggling while passing our building. I am concerned that someone may fall at some point, and am curious as to who is liable, the building owner (and management) or the tenant.

If the LL is ultimately responsible, I don't realistically see any of us actually making an effort to shovel/salt the sidewalk, given the fact that it is ten times more difficult to seek, find, and carry (without an automobile, of course) such supplies back to the place. As some NYC area tenants will attest, this kind of activity can consume an entire Saturday, and my sometimes 10 hour workdays necessitate weekend sleep (we are not cold hearted, just drained!). I don't feel good about the pedestrians potential risk, but there is only so much I can contribute, and relieving my LL of a responsibility (if it is indeed his) is not something I am willing to do.

Ultimately, I suppose I want to know if, after the next storm, I again witness people reluctantly trudging in front of the building, I am justified to call the management company and tell them the sidewalk needs to be cleared. The building has 3 units, and is not rent stabilized, nor city-owned.

(Sorry for such a long post - I just had the feeling that someone in another state with a car and easy suburban access to Home Depot or Wal Mart would reply, "just do it yourself.")

Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name