Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: leaky roof

Posted by Dawn on January 02, 2001 at 18:47:05:

In Reply to: leaky roof posted by James Drumheller on January 02, 2001 at 13:23:38:

If you've paid your rent on time, been a good tenant, kept careful notes, documentation (letters sent certified or fed ex (signature upon receipt)) kept securely away, then you have a paper trail. I would send a short, polite letter along with pictures clearly showing the leakage with the date stamped so you would have proof that when weather reports are looked at for that day, it showed it was "snowing, rainy" etc. Explain your concern about leakage, falling paint, ceilings, what have you, and the possible liability (usually landlord's ears perk up about that). Give the landlord 10 days to respond. If he does not respond, then call Department of Housing and Development and explain the problem in a calm rational manner. You will then be directed to file the report over the phone and they will send an inspector over for the surprise visit. Do NOT tell ANYONE about this, as you want the landlord to be surprised and the inspector to find as much original damage you claim there is. Then the inspector sends a letter to the landlord and asks them to clear up whatever violations he/she came across and the landlord has to respond. Usually landlords respond pretty quick and positive to documentation and pictures. Mine did. Good luck. Also, look into investing for apartment dweller insurance.

: For the past five years, everytime it snows my ceiling leaks. Every year I tell my landlord, A.J. Clarke Real Esate. Every year they promise the problem will be fixed. Every year the problem becomes worst. I worry about water damage to my computer, stereo, clothes and books. How can I make sure A.J. Clarke will be held responsible for any possible future damage to my belongings?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name