Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Addendum to lease

Posted by MWFFWM on January 01, 2001 at 22:45:42:

I recently signed a lease with property management for another year. About a week later a letter was tacked to my door indicating that my file was "incomplete". The file contained documents that management wanted me to sign:

Waiver of Liability Addendum
Rental Collection Policy
Lead Based Paint Hazard Notification Procedure

Then a couple of days after that, another document was tacked to my door:

Sub-metered & Ratio Utility Billing Systems ("RUBS") Utility Disclosure Statement.

This document basically outlines what utilities I am responsible for and the difference is I am now being "sub-metered" for water consumption which wasn't the case in my last lease term and wasn't mentioned in the Lease I signed in early December to renew my lease.

I am reluctant to sign these documents (for the obvious reason that I don't want to pay anymore than I have to). On the surface, this appears to be an attempt by management to change the terms of my lease. In my view, we came to an agreement that has my signature on it and they have already accepted my first payment under these terms.

Probably what has happened, they forgot to present these documents at the time the Lease was presented to me but my opinion is "tough luck" as I am sure that is what would be said to me if I had to pay a late fee because I was three minutes too late on my rent payment.

Am I in my right to refuse these addendums?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name