Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Super from Hell - Any ideas? yes it is assault

Posted by terri on December 30, 2000 at 16:13:28:

In Reply to: Super from Hell - Any ideas? posted by Andy on December 26, 2000 at 13:08:17:

: Hello everyone,
: we are moving out of Brooklyn, NY apt in 2 weeks, landlord properly notified, no problems here.
: Here is our problem - the super is constantly harrasing us, saying we are not recycling properly, etc.. doing so in a very abusive manner, insulting us, as well threatening us. Last week he came to our door and started screaming at us, throwing garbage in my apartment. When I tried to close the door, he held it, and kept screaming and insulting. I promised to call the cops (which i did). Once I picked up the phone and started dialing, he disappeared.
: The cops came, but they could not arrest him because he did not hit me or anything..even though he pushed me and would not let me close my door. About verbal assault - they said there is no such thing. The best they could do is go talk to him about how to behave - he was the nicest man in front of them!!

the cops misled or lied to you.
threatening is assault; anything the super does that puts you in fear of your safety is assault. if he touches you, it becomes battery.

my precinct recorded a similar incident as 'harassment'; they also said it wasn't assault & that they treat landlord violence like dosmectic violence, e.i., like it's not as real as stranger violence.

found out one year and three days later that this is assault. lost the chance to file criminal and civil complaints at one year.

step one: go to your local precinct: file the complaints: one for each incident. they'll put it in the computer as 'harassment' and give your a paper confirmation. the super will not know you've done this until you decide to take step two, follow thru at the precinct.

in the meantime, call victims services for more help; there's a hotline.

http://www.victimservices.org/

the criminal assaults:
http://assembly.state.ny.us/cgi-bin/claws?law=82&art=27

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name