Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rental Increase

Posted by terri on December 30, 2000 at 15:24:47:

In Reply to: Rental Increase posted by Olga Ayala on December 30, 2000 at 15:09:53:

: I'm a month-to-month residential renter in a 3 apartment building in Staten Island, NY. I've been living here for 4 years. Last year a new landlord took over. I used to have a monthly rental agreement with my old landlord. I don't have a rental agreement with the current landlord (he refuses to give me one). On Dec. 29th I got notice that my rent is being raised from $725.00 to $800.00 per month (an increase of $75.00), effective Jan.1 (only 3 days notice).

: I believe he needs to give 30 days notice. However, $75.00 seems very high to me. How much can he legally request? What is the percentage of my current rent that should be used to determine an increase?

: Please advise ASAP as Jan. 1 is 2 days away!

: Thank you,

: Olga Ayala

he is supposed to give you 30-days notice. you do not have to pay any increase you did not agree to. of course, if you don't negotiate a lower increase or pay whatever he asks, he can evict you with 30-days' notice. but he could do that anyway, for no reason, so go for it.

ps: look up 30 days notice or month-to-month in one or more of the search things here: there's lots of info on this site.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name