Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lease Renewal

Posted by Terri on December 30, 2000 at 14:54:53:

In Reply to: Lease Renewal posted by Jerry on December 27, 2000 at 11:32:13:

: I have been living in the same apartment for 6 years. I have been renewing my lease every two years. Recently, my lease expired and I expected it to be renewed, as usual, for another two years. My landlord told me it was no longer a policy of their's to give out leases. Is this legal? I finally got him to give me a lease but it's only for one year instead of the two I would have preferred. My understanding is that it is at the discretion of the tenant whether or not to renew a lease, and if that lease has always been, from the start, a two year lease, than the landlord is obliged to renew the lease for that term if the tenant so desires. Am I right? What can I do about it if I am? I live in Queens, NYC. I don't know if I am rent stabilized or controlled. How do I find out?

you moved in twenty+ years too late to be controlled, unless this was a succession case.

look at that lease you sign every two years: does it say stabilized?

from the horses' mouths:

In general, stabilized BUILDINGS

x Contain 6 or more units;

x Were built before 1974;

x Are not co-ops or condos;

In addition, for your APARTMENT to be stabilized it must

x Have had a rent of less than $2000, if you initially moved into the apartment in 1993 or later.

There are exceptions to these rules. The only way to know FOR SURE if your apartment is (or should be) rent stabilized is to call the NY State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR), the state agency which administers the rent laws:

Phone for DHCR is 718-739-6400

http://housingnyc.com/questions/zip.html

that's the link with the current database

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name