Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

illegal lockout

Posted by peter on December 28, 2000 at 08:58:30:

In Reply to: Tenant/Landlord dispute posted by Dan on December 27, 2000 at 08:42:12:

So far with little information you provided I will give you a general answer (common sense). You have been locked out, no matter the conditions of the lockout, you have been locked out and if you want a key to the deadbolt you have to force the issue or report your landlord to the police only if the landlord gets difficult (find a time when the police can see the actions of your landlord).

You pay rent, you need full use of the apartment and the common areas. How can you do that if you are locked out of the common areas. Read your lease? Do you have one? House or Building? What state? etc.

: I live in a duplex and the landlord lives in one of the units. My landlord locked a deadbolt, for which I have not been provided a key, on the outer door after I had left to go to my parents for Christmas. The landlords said they do not want anyone other than me in that apartment period. I had a person who was going to feed my cats and they could not get in. What if I had come home and could not get in? Is this legal?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name