Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Posted by Yarrow on December 26, 2000 at 14:31:27:

In Reply to: roomate is also landlord, and taking advantage of power disymmetry posted by rita on December 24, 2000 at 22:17:17:

I felt that the way the other person answered you was not good. She doesn't know the situation that you are in. I can empathize with you since you don't know who the "friend" is that will also be in your home with you. I have been in similar situations.It sounds a little scary to me and I would want to know who the friend is and what they are about. I don't feel qualified to give advice to you and can suggest that you find support around these issues from other places. First, find out what your legal rights are by calling various tenant groups in your area. Start by calling an assemblyman's or city council office to find out where they are, what the phone number is, how to get there. If they can't help me I say,"If you can't help me, who can?" Have a pen and paper handy to write everything down. Get the person's name. When you call the next place say, "Joe Blow(whoever gave you the phone number) of Assemblyman's Green's office suggested I call you.I need help." Explain your situation briefly. The three magic words are "I need help." And then get emotional support from self help groups, therapy,friends, etc. This sounds stressful.As for the other reply saying " you sound unhappy and are looking for trouble" ? It seems like the replier is looking to put someone down. Be careful who you listen to especially if they seem slightly abusive. I've had people telling me "Move out, move out" When I ask for suggestions are how to do this, they then shut up and can't say anything else because a lot of people are either living in substandard situations or subsidized, as in by the government, that they don't want you to know about. "Nothing is real until you have experienced it" Good luck!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name