Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: help! i'm freezing.... NYC??

Posted by Jane on December 24, 2000 at 19:07:10:

In Reply to: help! i'm freezing.... posted by mike on December 23, 2000 at 21:48:05:

: same sad song, no heat or hot water.

: i moved into an old building that is being renovated - i took one of the newly renovated apartments. well, since oct there has been no heat at least once a week on average. as of last week, we started having days without heat....same story, boiler's being fixed, etc.

: well, now it's almost christmas eve, and we have had no hot water since dec 13 and no real heat since dec 19. they are trying to fix it I think, however it's not working. heat finally came on last nite however off again today.....no one should have to live like this. and there are children and elderly persons in our building as well.
: we've all been calling and filing complaints, but to what avail i don't know.

You called the 'Central Complaint Hotline' 212.824.4328 (formerly 960.4800) ? You, and every other tenant, should call daily, and several times a day, until an HPD inspector shows up or the heat comes on and stays on.

: help! can i/other tenants withold rent, and if so what are the repercussions?

Read the complaint section on http://tenant.net/. Read the section on filing an HP Action in the Housing Court pages. This is where tenants sue the landlord to make repairs.Cost is minimal and there is no risk of eviction. Read about a rent strike. Withholding rent will get you sued for non-payment and possibly evicted. Call Met Council or your neighborhood tenant clinic for more help. Call any social service provider any of the tenants have (low income, disability, seniors). Call your local Community Council or Assemblyman or other politician.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name