Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Our landlord says we can't stay when our child is born.

Posted by Jeff on December 24, 2000 at 00:38:47:

In Reply to: Our landlord says we can't stay when our child is born. posted by Jeff on December 19, 2000 at 00:25:17:

Thank you all for your comments. Some have been better than others. I have contacted HUD and am waiting for replys, to see how best to handle the situation. I am convinced now that we are being discriminated against and want to do something.
The reason that we can't stay is because the lease says no more than two persons per apt. However, there are no single parents with one child here(two persons). I don't believe they would allow it either. The LL does not live here and it isn't an "adult" complex. If they wanted adult living it could have been set up like that, it isn't. The rules are here specifically to limit any families they don't want. The manager has a family but that's it. The Fair Housing rules are very strict and they're not following them. I am not sure how they are doing it but they are getting away with a lot more too. For example, there are no African Americans here. Not to offend anyone, but the complex is plenty large enough to have a few, even if it's to be polically correct.
So, I doubt if we'll sue but we will file a complaint with HUD. Thank you all again.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name