Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: add son's name to a rent stabilized lease?

Posted by   on December 21, 2000 at 20:10:13:

In Reply to: Re: name on rent stabilized lease: forget Ken, here's the real deal posted by Link on December 21, 2000 at 18:11:35:

The only name that a landlord has to add to a lease is the name of a spouse. However, your son would have succession rights if he has lived with you for two years, whether his name is on the lease or not.

As someone else has suggested, you could help to establish your son's residence in your apartment by filing form RA-235 (Notice To Owner Of Family Members Residing With The Named Tenant In the Apartment Who May Be Entitled to Succession Rights/Protection From Eviction) with DHCR.

: :
: : I want to add my 21 year old son's name to my lease. Is that a difficult task to accomplish?
: : thanks in advance.

: If your son has lived with you for 2 years, he has succession rights and you could 'just ask' your landlord to add him to the lease. If he doesn't agree, file a complaint with DHCR.

: If he has not lived with you for the past 2 years, adding him to the lease would change the lease from a renwal lease to a vacancy lease. Your landlord could then increase the rent by 20% +++ instead of 4-6%.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name