Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Civil Action from Landlord

Posted by Link on December 21, 2000 at 19:04:17:

In Reply to: Civil Action from Landlord posted by Yarrow on December 21, 2000 at 10:43:52:

: KEN DO NOT REPLY TO THIS!!!! I MEAN IT!!
: The apartment below ceiling collapsed in late May. I was availble the entire next day to let the plumbers or whoever in the the apartment. They never showed up, never called me.
: At the time, my kitchen faucet was leaking all over the place due to the drunk super breaking the faucet in May.
: It was from my complaints to the City that the plumbers came in Mid-July and fixed the problem, only to leave a hole in the floor. This was then fixed through my efforts in September. I live in a rent stablized building in Queens.
: Apparently the landlord never fixed the ceiling below me, it is supposedly still open. I am being told that there is leaking again below. The supers leave me notes regarding this but when I call them to arrange a time, they hang up on me. Now, I recieved 3 notices from civil court that the landlords are sueing me for "property damage". Does anyone have experience with this. Thank you for your help.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You said Civil Action: which court? Small Claims? Housing Court? just plain Civil Court?

Whatever your answer is, take those papers seriously: if you do not respond, you'll lose by default. And believe me, been there done that, it is much harder and much more stressful to overturn a default judgement than to defend the original lawsuit.

Do not ignore these papers: take them to a Tenant Clinic or Tenant Attorney ASAP. Or to the Pro Se's office in Housing Court.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name