Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Here's help

Posted by J on December 21, 2000 at 16:19:08:

In Reply to: Re: Here's help posted by TenantNet on December 21, 2000 at 08:36:39:

I have since taken several courses of action. I have spoken with the real owner of the apartment, who informed me that the apartment is rent controlled and that as she has a "life-time" lease arrangement, she has a history of taking in young tenants who are not well informed of their rights on a month-to-month basis, overcharging them, and accusing them of theft when she wants to increase the rent or just get rid of them. My neighbor is a lawyer and referred me to a landlord/tenant lawyer. The lawyer informed me that I can sue her for rent overcharge. As she uses the apartment as her place of business as well, I utilize approximately 3/8 of the apartment space yet pay approximately 85% of the rent. I have never been involved in such a situation or a lawsuit. However, I think that because of her accusations of theft and treatment to me as a criminal and locking me out and harrasing me to move out at her will, I will be taking legal action to teach her a lesson.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name