Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Change the locks and/or a Nanny cam.

Posted by John on December 20, 2000 at 13:00:15:

In Reply to: entering without notice + unauthorized use of apt. posted by Benito on December 20, 2000 at 12:24:50:

Check to see if your building is Rent stabilized. 6 units in NYC is I assume is considered stabilized.

Change the locks. The landlord will have to inform you and request access to your apartment. If this issue is ordered by a Housing Court Judge then comply.

Get a Nanny cam, they go for $39.99 at some websites. Better safe than sorry.

Fight for your rights. Get an attorney.

Good luck.

: I live in Brooklyn. My apartment is not stabilized or rent-controlled. I have a written lease and there are 6 units in the building.
: I recently came home to a huge mess created by the maintenance man for the building. He had come into the apartment without any prior notice and replaced a leaking radiator valve and had left the mess from doing this job there for me to clean up. This was mostly brass filings from sawing the pipe and the old valve parts. He had also moved furniture, used the bathroom and used a personal bath towel-- I don't know for what, but it was thrown into the bathtub. In cleaning up this mess I discovered a used condom in my bathroom trash can. I called my landlord and asked about this and the landlord called the maintenance man, who then called me. He was very confrontational and rude and gave me incriminating evidence that he had perhaps had sex in my apartment. He also admitted to taking money from my coffee table because he didn't have change to feed his parking meter. What are my rights in this situation? I was told I cannot change my locks because this same maintenance man must have a key to gain access to my apartment in case of an emergency. The maintenance man routinely comes into my apartment without telling me beforehand. Isn't this illegal? What can I do about this? And the used condom? People are having sex in my apartment? Is there a law against that?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name