Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

The only legal concern would be the Federal Fair Housing Act

Posted by ed on December 20, 2000 at 09:33:44:

In Reply to: The straight facts posted by Ken on December 19, 2000 at 18:22:36:

Which the landlord would be violating if he refused to renew the lease after the child is born.

: Will, you need to read the what the poster wrote before you spew off your insults. You made the preposterous statement that I feel all landlords are "saints" and tenants "scum". With the exception of yourself, that statement is false.

: Had you read my post you would see I noted the legal and ethical concerns present in this situation. However, the tenant indicated that his lease was expiring, and that his landlord had told him upon signing that it would not be renewed. The landlord did not discriminate against this family; he signed a lease with them in spite of his desires not to rent to families. Therefore to tell the tenant to hire lawyers or sue is akin to telling him to throw money down the drain. I stand by my suggestion -- look for a professionally managed building, one that does not mind renting to families !

:
: : : In short, you're going to have to leave after your lease expires. You can be evicted quite easily after that, and the LL need not accept your rent.

: : : I suggest you look for a professionally managed building. Buildings run by a large corporation are unlikely to discriminate and typically are more "up to date" in their policies and procedures and amenities than building run by a small scale landlord. Of course you'd expect to pay market rent at such a building. So why not look into buying your own place as well?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name