Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: lanlord from hell -- go to a lawyer now!

Posted by gary on December 19, 2000 at 09:30:28:

In Reply to: lanlord from hell posted by sue on December 19, 2000 at 09:11:38:

I once considered buying a house in Suffolk and I was amazed at how many houses I saw that had illegal apts., some of them basement apts. that were total fire traps (which may describe your apaartment, incidentally).

This is a situation in which you really need to see a lawyer, and right away. Your "hell" description is apt, as you appear to be renting from, literally, criminals. Apart from the utility ripoff, there is also the issue of whether you owe ANY rent for your illegal apt., now or even in past months. That is the issue I would explore, as well as the harrassment and the utility ripoff.

: i have been renting a private home in suffolk county. there is an illegal basement apartment,that his neice lives in. i have just found out that i am paying the heat/electric for the whole home..I am withholding rent now.and they have begun to harass us, and are attempting toserve us.the lease ends2/15..What options do i have

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name