Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Our landlord says we can't stay when our child is born.

Posted by Jeff on December 19, 2000 at 00:25:17:

my wife and I moved in to a one bdrm apartment in Feb 2000.
When we moved into a 2 bdrm in may 2000 at same complex, it came up that we were pregnent. The secretary told us that we would have "sufficient" time to move out upon the birth but that we weren't allowed to stay. I told her we'd stay in one bdrm then(why move twice)She said apt was assigned to someone already. She called the owner and he agreed to let us stay for one year from beginning of two bdrm lease.

Our child is expected any day now and our lease goes until may 2001. We have permission to stay this long. Not much has been said since we signed the second lease. In the lease it specifies that the premises are to be occupied by no more than two persons.

I read the family act and my understanding is that landlords have the right to limit # of persons as long as it is not there to solely prohibit families. How can we tell this? There are no children in complex except for the manager's son. He has a wife too. They're the only ones with three people and any child. There are no single parents with a child or anything.

Can they make us leave? If we were to continue paying rent after may, can they evict us? Besides not being wnated by owner, we like complex, the people, and the price. It is significantly cheaper than any thing else this nice in neighborhood. We want to stay.

The agreement was that after the one year lease, we would not have to sign any other leases. We would pay month to month and notify them one month before we move.

The apartment is owned by one man. It has 110 units and is in Michigan.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name