Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

You refer to the 80/20 program

Posted by Ken on December 18, 2000 at 18:19:39:

In Reply to: HOW DO I APPLY FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSING IN NEW YORK CITY??? posted by Ana on December 18, 2000 at 06:47:30:

Some new buildings receive a tax abatement from the city in exchange for participating the the "80/20" program. Under this program, 20% of the building's apartments are rented at rent stabilized rates (generally FAR below market rent considering its a new, luxury building and that the apartments are spread throughout all floors). There are very specific guidelines that restrict the participants to low income individuals and families. Income guidelines vary slighty with each project and are based on family/apartment size.

How do you apply ? New buildings that participate in the program advertise in the New York Times and other publications. They also have signs at the work site telling where to write for an application. Of course, given the benefits, there are usually thousands of applicants for each building. However, you can apply for as many buildings as you qualify for, hopefully you will be randomly selected for one. Good luck.

: I live in brooklyn, my sons go to school in Manhattan. I see these new huge buildings going up all the time in the city (where I work) and I heard that each building has to have a few affordable housing units. How do I apply?? Is there a website that lists these buildings?? Can someone please help me find this info? Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name