Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord does not lose in cash and key offer.

Posted by John on December 14, 2000 at 13:35:08:

In Reply to: Yes, only make an agreement that you can keep. posted by Ken on December 13, 2000 at 20:24:19:

The landlord didn't lose anything by offering a cash and key offer, but the tenant does if he agree to one. How you ask?

1) If the tenant didn't take the offer, the landlord would start eviction proceedings... Granted a housing court judge hears both sides and stays any eviction at his or her discretion (what you want).

2) If the tenant took the offer and moved, how do you collect? Small claims court? Good faith? (Not what you want)

3) If the tenant took the offer and didn't move, that promissory note (stipulation) would be given to the Judge. And argued that you ended your tenancy (broke lease agreement) with your landlord (lease or no lease), who now shows an agreement was made for your departure other than the ending of your written lease agreement.

Even if the agreement was for nothing, for example: landlord: Hey, I know you need time to move, but if you move before XX date I will give you $$ for your trouble. Sign here that we agree on that (cash and key).

As oppose to: Hey, I need this apartment by XX date... I will help you move by giving you $$$ for your trouble, but you have to be out by that time (cash as incentive to leave).

With the cash I can move out and get evicted if I don't move. End result... Landlord get apartment early and I get cash.

Without the cash??? My expense, my troubles and if I don't move the landlord still get his apartment early and I get grief

Just think before you sign and learn other examples like this.

Good luck

: With all due respect, it sounds like you brought on the problems yourself in the situation you describe. By reneging on your agreement, you wound up screwing over your landlord while shooting yourself in the foot. The lesson here is obvious. Keep your word, and uphold your end of any deals you make. Just a little life lesson that helps avoids a lot of trouble.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name