Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Legally or realisticly

Posted by John on December 13, 2000 at 18:18:52:

In Reply to: connection fees posted by Rick on December 13, 2000 at 17:25:44:

Legally, the landlord is responsible for those fees... Not you.
Realisticly, he can add it to your rent. Not as a one time fee, but as part of your rent (the amount of rent he would charge is solely up to him).

Legally, you can avoid paying those fees.
Realisticly, he can pay those fees now and add the balance to your rent (if you do not have a written lease he can charge any amount).

Legally, you can fight your landlord if he tries to force you pay those fees directly.
Realisticly, who really knows why rent and expenses go up so much??? My rent goes up 3% every year to offset any increases in utilities the landlord may have, and that's with a lease.

Think about your situation and reply to your landlord accordingly. The up keep of the building is his responsibility not yours and if this winter it snows too much is your landlord going to ask you to help him pay the heating bill too? Seek legal advice from your state if the condition gets worst.

Good Luck

: I'm renting a room in an acquaintance's townhouse. He just bought it and it's brand new. He is trying to charge me for all of the startup/connection fees that are involved in getting the services (cable, phone, etc) turned on. He is also trying to have me pay for Homeowner's Association fees and trash removal. I'm pretty sure that the last two are a stretch, but I'm not sure what kind of fees I should be responsible for. I just don't think that I would have to pay these fees if I had come into the house say 3 months after he bought it. It seems to me that the landlord should solely be responsible for these kinds of fees. Am I way off base? I realize that he is strapped for cash, but so am I. Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name