Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Any stop to rent stab. increases EVER?

Posted by Margaret on December 11, 2000 at 17:54:46:

In Reply to: Any stop to rent stab. increases EVER? posted by Helen on December 11, 2000 at 16:28:47:

: Excuse my ignorance, but I need advice about my ever-increasing rent.
: I lived the past 3 years in a large one bedroom in a 7 floor elevator pre-war rent stab. in Riverdale (Bronx).
: Because I am from Florida, where they NEVER raise the rent, I was too stupid to understand the 2-year lease could work in my favor until now. The first year my rent was $1000. The second year it was $1020 plus change. The third, $1040. Now it's going up to $1062 for one year, and $1100 for two year.
: Here's my questions:
: 1.Do they NEVER stop raising the rent in NYC?

Nope. They raise it because they CAN.

: 2. Does a polite letter to the landlord entity ever make them STOP raising the rent? Even for one year?

I just got my renewal lease and if I take the 2 year it will increase my rent by about $50. The floors in my apartment are horrible and getting worse. I sent the LL a letter with my 12/1 rent asking if any sort of allowance in the rent could be made because we really like it here but as long as we're living here the floors only get worse as time moves on. To date, I have gotten no response. That is actually surprising because he is a good guy (at least I thought so).

: 3. Is it worth it to look for errors in his rent stab. math?

Doubt it.

: 4. Or should I quit my cryin' and either pay up for find a cheaper place?

I guess that's about all you can do. It must be quite a surprise to be from elsewhere and see how LLs get outrageous rents for toilets and dumps and increases without having to justify them. They say their costs are increasing and they need raises in rent to keep up. What they never seem to do is replace 100 year old stoves and refrigerators and rusted sinks and tubs.

: Like I said, this is an ignorant question, but any advice would be greatly appreciated

Not ignorant. It's unheard of to someone that's not from NY. Actually, I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that they never raise rents in Florida. NY is all I know. What's the average cost for a two bedroom in a good neighborhood in Florida or other cities?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name