Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Just received a court document for eviction - I'm petrified, please help

Posted by Dawn on December 07, 2000 at 13:50:56:

In Reply to: Just received a court document for eviction - I'm petrified, please help posted by Stray on December 07, 2000 at 07:47:23:

Call the landlord, tell him about this note, and ask about a) the nature of this eviction notice, is it the true eviction notice or just to show up in court, and b) whether this eviction notice still stands and if he/she is still accepting payment. If LL knows your situation and is sympathetic, and accepts your money and you're paid in full and LL still turns around & evicts you, you have a case in court. The LL would be dumb to accept money and still toss you. If, on the other hand, he/she says they can "hold off" til you make payment, make sure your payment comes in the day it's supposed to, walk it in personally and have him/her sign off on it personally. If the eviction posting still stands (are both you and your roommate's name on it? check - it may just be for your non-paying roommate) then go to court and bring your evidence. No matter what, it's still money you owe and even if the LL decides not to rent to you guys anymore, you can always negotiate needing time (3 months) to find a place and move. First and foremost, try talking to the landlord, and keep all receipts and detailed notes of what happened for future reference. And don't EVER be late with the rent for the rest of your tenancy. You have to rebuild a better LL tenant relationship and that starts with paying your rent on time, every month, every year. And good communication. Good luck.

: I received a 3 day noticed for a sum of back rent last week (roommate did not pay his rent for some time), half of which I paid (I contacted my realty and told them I'd pay the other half this week).

: So I get home yesterday to find this court document (a petition of non payment).

: Am I cracked in thinking they just plain screwed up and have no recourse if I pay up the back rent I owe and continue to pay rent, or can this little timing slip up allow them to boot me out of my New York City apartment?!?!

: Any advice would be MOST appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name