Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

How long does EVICTION record stay in court's files?

Posted by Aaron on December 06, 2000 at 18:16:10:

I was evicted for non-payment in December of 1997 from an apartment in Queens, New York. The landlord had the Marshall evict me, even after I had offered partial payment. I went to court and they said that the landlord had the right to refuse payment from me. So I was given the boot.

It's been two years since that incident, and I have a great job, excellent credit and a GREAT tenancy history and relationship with my current landlord.

The eviction never appeared on any of my credit reports or anything, but now I am now trying to get an apartment in Manhattan, and the landlord said that final approval will be given after he checks the court records for any record of prior eviction for non-payment.

How long does an eviction record remain in the court's files?

Is there any chance that it has been removed?

If it didn't make it onto my credit report, does it mean that it was never filed in the court's records?

If the new landlord finds out, what excuse can I give for being evicted other than non payment? Can I say that there were repairs that the landlord refused to do, and I withheld rent, but got evicted and lost my appeal?

How can I find out whether I have an eviction record in the court's files?

PLEASE help! New LL is acquiring that information in the next day or two..

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name