Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: guests - it would depend...

Posted by Neal on December 05, 2000 at 13:56:35:

In Reply to: Re: guests - it would depend... posted by Dawn on December 05, 2000 at 13:08:23:

Certainly this is a situation nobody ever hopes to find themselves in. Only an idiot would intentionally pull any of the stunts discussed thus far. However, I still want to know what could happen legally. I'm not interested in how people would feel. Am I going to get someone on this list to tell me I would win and them go ahead and do something like what we've discussing? Of course not. That would be stupid. I'm very aware of the potential bad vibe this would generate which is exactly why I wouldn't do it. Obviously this situation would anger just about everybody involved, but knowing that does not tell us which parties have control over what.

I know I can choose to invite anybody I please to my residence. What I do not know is can the landlord legally prevent them from coming in or can the landlord make them leave, simply because he doesn't like them? Could the landlord then legally evict the tenant for inviting that person over?

The answers to the questions are exactly the same if the rolls were reversed. If I were the landlord and my tenant invited someone over that I did not like (for whatever reason), would I be able to prevent them from coming to the property and could I legally evict my tenant for doing that? Sure, I would be upset, but what could I really do about it?

The other situation I tossed out was not a complete roll reversal though. Read it again. It's the exact same awkward situation but this time I'm not the one inviting over the person that creates the tension, the landlord is.

I appreciate all of the feedback people are offering. It's an interesting problem.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name