Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Well...

Posted by MikeW on December 04, 2000 at 17:49:15:

In Reply to: Re: guests - it would depend... posted by Neal on December 04, 2000 at 16:43:16:

Without knowing all the specifics of your LL/tenant relationship, I can't say anything too specific.

On a silly wild ass guess basis, I don't think that he could prevent you from allowing the guest on the premisis.

However, there can definitly be a downside. It sounds like this is an unregulated apartment in a private home. Assuming it's a legal apartment, if you have no lease, the LL can decide he doesn't want you there anymore, and give you notice to vacate. If you have a lease, he can wait for it to expire, then tell you to leave.

If it is an illegal apartment, you could put up a significant fight, and cause the LL significant grief, but do you really want to live in a situation like that.

: True enough, it could be awkward. And for that reason it's something I may not pursue. I'm just wondering if my landlord has the legal right to dictate who I can invite over. Does he have the power to prevent an invited guest from entering the hall because he simply doesn't like them? The law that I've managed to dig up says that who the guests are is up to me as I have "exclusive use" of the rental premises, but the hall, entry way, and drive way are "shared". Pretty vague. Pretty tricky. Awfully interesting.

: --neal

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name