Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Not much they can do

Posted by MikeW on December 04, 2000 at 13:04:23:

In Reply to: illegal rental, living out security posted by Gina on December 01, 2000 at 15:43:53:

They can't throw you out without a court order (or you could sue them/have them arrested it they try).

They're not likely to take you to court. They don't want to be found out by the town their in. If they give you any crap, threaten to report their illegal apartment to the town. Unlike the city, the suburbs can get downright testy about illegal apartments.

: I am currently living in an illegal apartment in someone's house (long island, NY). I have resided their for one year and 4 months. I have no lease and I have paid my rent on-time every month. I notified them that I was giving them a month's notice and I'd be living out my security. My reason for leaving is because I am constantly being harrassed and they spy on me and enter my apartment with no consent from me. They are continuing to harrass me, but I don't want to pay them another month's rent because they have my security deposit. Do I have any rights? It was never mentioned that I had to pay my last month's rent. Can I legally live out my security, bearing in mind that the apartment is immaculate other than a few minor holes in the wall from pictures that I hung, but I am going to fill them.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name