Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

It's a private contract, either party can refuse

Posted by Ken on December 01, 2000 at 20:28:09:

In Reply to: approval/denial ? posted by KelliAnna on December 01, 2000 at 17:45:15:

Think of a rental agreement as a private contract. It is voluntary, meaning that either you or the landlord can refuse to rent a place for any reason.

In practice, having a job with sufficient income to afford the rent, having good credit, and recommendations from past landlord are usually what a property owner looks at when deciding to rent a place to you. However, there are thousands of individual owners, each one may have his or her own criteria, so what appears to be a great tenant to one may be rejected by another, just as what may be a dream apartment to one person may not be to your taste.

About the only reason a landlord (in a non owner occupied dwelling of 4 or more units) CANNOT reject an applicant is based on racial or ethnic background. Also keep in mind that usually a larger apartment complex has its own application procedures, while a small owner more likely goes by "gut instinct".

Hope this helps, good luck.

: I'm in Washington state, (King county) and have lived at my apartment for 6 months. My hubby and I are planning to move within the next 2 months and we're worried we will not be approved for an apartment. We have 4 years of past rental history, (GOOD rental history, that is) and we have always paid our rent on time. We were never problems. What are some basis for denial of renting a place?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name